Tuesday 4 July 2017

Winter Harvest and CQ Eat Street Market

There is so much to do in the garden at this time of the year! I harvested lots of Galangal for some nice Asian dishes and re-planting.
My first Chia is growing well as well. I guess there will be lots of seeds - for the chooks as a protein source and for my muesli.
Garlic, Nasturium and Waltham Butternut Pumpkins keep growing nicely.
I harvested 3 Queensland Blue pumpkins. They store extremely well. these little buggers weigh over 15 kg together, hence the wheelbarrow.
I harvested some onions and made pickled onions - perfect for our platters.
But it's not just gardening. It's the end of the financial year and school holiday which means I was extremely busy at work. So Mr S and I went out on Sunday afternoon - to the CQ Eat Street Markets.We were there nice and early as we both hate crowds. We had a nice hot breakfast and were hanging out for this feast.
After having a look around we settled at the bar and had a couple of drinks and tried to decide what we were going to to try.
Lots of tables and chairs set up for the crowds.
Since Rocky is a country town, we have a nice set-up for the visitors - haystacks...
While the sun is going down, we're enjoying our Mocktails....
... and the beautiful lights.
As an entree we had spring rolls and chicken satay. The main was Salt & Pepper Calamari from the Calamari Hut - even Mr S approved and he's very picky with his Calamari...
That was our dessert to share - yummy and a bit of everything: chocolate cake, caramel fudge, cream, icecream and strawberries. What can go wrong with this combo?
The atmosphere was really nice. It was a cool night and a fire would have been nice.
But as nice as it was, we decided to head home as it was starting to fill up and we were too.
I made a pumpkin bread out of my pumpkin. It actually is really nice and juicy. I will make it again.
This is my new Hibiscus. I fell in love with the colours, so now it's planted near my veggies and will attract beneficial inspects for pollination.
Mr S is designing our new seating area. I had a glass of wine there the other night. It's really serene and I love the view.
Since everything is growing so well, this is my lunch - freshly picked from the garden. Yum!
That was another beautiful week. I talk to you all soon.

2 comments:

  1. Another week full of things to do !!! A garden is a lot of work and a lot of fun to see how everything grows and thrives and harvesting is the reward! The pumpkins are big and heavy, wow !!! The bread looks very delicious! And the beautiful hibiscus !!! The Sunday was nice and relaxed as we can see in the pictures !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a good time eating out. The hibiscus is a beauty, they frost too easily where I live.

    ReplyDelete

Meal Planning

I used to struggle with meal planning. I made this great plans to try all these amazing recipes and then I went shopping and bought loads of...