Sunday 7 January 2018

Organise the year ahead

As I was saying in my last post, Rhonda from Down to earth will take us through her Simple home book this year and I would like to join from my perspective. Chapter 1 is called 'organise the year ahead'.
I have started with my new style of diary. I use this one here: Leuchtturm1917. It contains 
  • all birthdays, public holidays, holidays
  • upcoming invoices (e.g. car registration, insurances, rates)
  • income and expenses
  • meal plan
  • electricity readings
  • harvest
  • rain
  • list of fruits/vegetables we eat, so I know how much to plant in future

In the back it has an address book which I don't use, so I changed its use to a notebook containing the following information:
  • addresses (only from my family)
  • books I want to read
  • Craft I want to do
  • To Do list
  • garden ideas
  • recipes to try
  • ideas for simple life
  • Webpages to visit
  • shopping (one off items other than groceries)
The diary has the week on one side and a 'notes' page on the other. So when I think about something I need to do, I can write it on the page and then do it when I have time available. So I always have everything I ever need with me at all times. Some people prefer a digital calendar but I'm old fashioned in that regards. I like to write it down.
I also created a system at home on how I deal with my paperwork and I try to deal with it once a week. I have set up folders for various items with the most important ones being '
  • "Pay" for all current invoices to be paid
  • "Do" for anything which needs to be done
  • "File" for paid invoices and things done which then needs to be filed in the appropriate folder
  • "Tax" for anything which I need to keep for the next tax return, so I can hand it over to my accountant and don't have to worry about a thing anymore.
Furthermore, I manifested my routines. I have morning, evening and weekend routines. In the morning, I tend the chooks, walk Janus, water my veggies, have breakfast and go to work. In the evening when I come home from work, I relax with a book or magazine in the garden, playing with Janus, tending my garden and so on. When it's time to cook dinner, I go inside and do that. I try to have a leftover meal on Mondays and Mr S cooks Tuesday to Thursday. So really I only need to cook Monday, Friday and on the weekends. Nice! We normally eat around 7ish and afterwards Mr S tends to go to bed and watch a movie. I then clean up the kitchen, put everything away and prepare my lunch for work the next day. Then I mop the kitchen floor, have a shower and go to bed to read a little but not until I have sat outside for a while and watch the stars with Janus by my side. 

Tuesday I have dog training which starts again in February and on Thursdays I go grocery shopping. 
I want to try to keep my weekends open, so I try to do my housework during the week. Unless it's the first Saturday of the month - then I do a bigger clean and therefore do these tasks on the 1st Saturday of the month:
  • Dust ceilings, fans, lights, skirting boards
  • Dust blinds
  • Wipe down doors
  • New linen, towels, tableclothes
  • Brush flyscreens
  • Clean couch
  • Vacuum dining chairs
  • Clean dishwasher
  • Dust all surfaces with oil/conditioner
  • Clean kitchen
  • Clean bathroom
  • Vacuum floors
  • Mop floors
I have also set up some new savings and budgeting goals but more about that in another post. For now, enjoy your week and see you soon!

2 comments:

  1. It's a great idea to take this up here too, Frances. I love reading about how others organise their homes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...when I read your post I was thinking: hm the day has only 24 hours... but it's only in the beginning when you organised things, and then it's easier :)

    ReplyDelete

Meal Planning

I used to struggle with meal planning. I made this great plans to try all these amazing recipes and then I went shopping and bought loads of...